One of my favorite wardrobe staples is a great jacket. Depending on your mood and itinerary for the day, a great jacket can pull just about any outfit together. Opt for tailored styles whenever possible and invest in good quality because a chic jacket will give you a lot of mileage. While there are so many beautiful styles each season, there are five specific styles I think every woman should have in her wardrobe because you’ll wear them for years and they are versatile enough to be styled a million different ways.
1. A Tailored Navy Blazer: This is a piece that works on any day of the week and will ensure that you always look polished. For a man, I might not recommend gold buttons on a workhorse jacket, but for a woman, it makes the jacket feel more feminine and a bit more elevated.
2. A Black Tuxedo Jacket: This jacket will take you from day to night seamlessly. Wear it with a silk blouse (NOT pictured!) and change into a pair of sleek ankle-strap sandals at night with minimal jewelry for a look that is at once chic and sexy.
3. A Classic Trench Coat: You can rarely go wrong with a classic, khaki trench coat. It is ideal in tricky weather when it isn’t quite cold enough for a wool coat or when it’s still warm, but pouring down rain. I can guarantee that this will never go out of style because it is timeless.
4. A Green Military-Style Jacket: Lighter jackets are great when you travel often! They can make a t-shirt and jeans suddenly look like a real outfit and are ideal when you need to dress in layers. Even living in Houston in the dead of summer, I usually make it a habit to fly in a light jacket since you never know if the airplane cabin will be freezing cold and it can help you transition from a warm climate to a cooler one.
5. A Black Leather Motorcycle Jacket: There are so many versions of a classic leather moto jacket. I personally don’t like the ones with belts and prefer something super soft that doesn’t weigh ten pounds. Madewell makes a few great motorcycle jackets at a great price point. This one is washed, making the leather extra soft and wearable. I usually pull mine out when I want an edgier look, but this piece is a total classic.
P.S. A few of these jackets are from J.Crew. They’re currently having a 25% off sale, so it’s the perfect time to fill your closet with these chic essentials!